2. PG Diploma in Food Safety and Quality Management (PGFSQM)
From IGNOU WiKi
About the Programme
Food safety is a fundamental public health concern. The Food Safety and Quality has become an area of priority and necessity for consumers, retailers, manufacturers and regulators. Changing global patterns of food production, international trade, technology, public expectations for health protection and many other factors have created a huge demand for food safety and quality auditing professionals.
IGNOU and APEDA have come together to launch this programme, the first such initiative in India, with an emphasis on practical proficiency development exercises. This programme is expected to meet the increasing human resource requirements for food safety and quality management professionals in the agriculture and food sectors.
The core objective of the programme is to develop professionals for development, implementation and auditing of Food Safety and Quality Management in the country. It seeks to develop India’s capability to meet the global food safety and quality requirements and enhance competitiveness of food products. In long term perspective, it would contribute to ensure consumer safety within and outside the country.
This PG programme shall enable the students to:
- Comprehend the issues of safety and quality in food production, handling, processing and trade.
- Build technical proficiency in undertaking food safety and quality assurance in food processing chain i.e., from farm to fork.
- Ensure the safety and quality of food products as per mandatory legal requirements and voluntary standards including export regulations, if required.
- Design and implement
- o Good Hygienic Practices (GHP)
- o Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- o Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP)
- o Quality Management Systems (QMS): ISO9001
- o Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS) : ISO 22000
- o Environmental Management Systems: ISO 14001
- o Laboratory Management System: ISO 17025
- o Retail Standards
- Be able to effectively plan, conduct, report and audit as per the guidelines of the ISO 19011-2002.
- Undertake Standard Microbiological and Chemical analysis of Food Products.
- Apply Good Hygienic, Manufacturing, Laboratory, Transportation and Retail Practices in Food Processing/ Hospitality industry and Retail outlets.
In order to be eligible for award of the PG Diploma, a student has to complete the following 8 courses equivalent to 32 credits (1 credit is equal to 30 study hours)
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|MVP-001||Food Fundamentals & Chemistry||4|
|MVP-002||Food Laws and Standards||4|
|MVP-003||Principles of Food Safety and Quality Management||4|
|MVP-004||Food Safety and Quality Management Systems||4|
|MVPL-001||Food Safety and Quality Auditing||4|
|MVPL-002||Chemical Analysis and Quality Assurance§||4|
|MVPP-001||Project Work §||4|
§The candidates shall be associated with a Food Laboratory, Industry or Consultancy organization.
Video Programmes: The self learning instructional material shall be supported with the video programmes.
- Science Graduates with Chemistry/ Bio-chemistry or Microbiology as one of the subjects.
- Degree in allied sciences like Agriculture/ Food Science and Technology/ Post Harvest Technology/ Home Science/ Life Science/ Microbiology/Biochemistry/ Biotechnology/ Horticulture/ Dairy Technology/ Veterinary/ Fisheries/ Hotel Management and Catering/ Hospitality Management etc. or equivalent.
- Science graduates in disciplines like Geography, Statistics with Physics & Math, Art Subjects and Medical Lab technology and with minimum three years experience in food processing and /or quality control. (minimum 1 year experience).
- Art Graduates with diploma in Food Science disciplines viz. Fruits and vegetables, dairy technology, meat technology, cereal, pulses and oilseeds etc. with minimum 5 years experience in Food Processing/Food Quality Control (2 years experience in quality control).
- B.A./B.Com Graduates with minimum 7 years experience or holding senior position in Govt./Semi Govt. Units involved in Food Quality Control.
- Rs. 10,800.00
- Minimum - 1 year
- Maximum - 4 years.
Medium of Instruction
The PG Diploma is intended for Graduates in Science/ Agriculture/ Food Science or allied disciplines contemplating a career in Food Safety and Quality Management. It is also intended for professionals in food processing and quality control for strengthening their proficiency in design and implement quality management systems, undertake food auditing and implement new food act- Food Safety and Standard Act 2006. The programme shall also open new vista for entrepreneurs who intend to diversify in food safety and quality aspects.
- Quality Control Officer or Quality Assurance/ Management professionals in food /hospitality/ retail industry and laboratories,
- Food Safety Officer in the regulatory bodies,
- Food Auditor in Certification and Inspection bodies,
- Trainer/ Counsellor in Food Safety & Quality Management Systems, and
- Self-Employment as food certifying/auditing professionals for the Food Safety and Quality Management Systems
Student Support Activities
Learning Material: The printed study material is sent to the registered students at home by post.
Audio-visual learning aids: The learning package also contains audio and video cassettes and CDs which have been produced by the University. A video programme is usually of 25-30 minutes duration. These programmes can be heard/viewed at the study centre during specific sessions, or purchased for use at home.
Counselling:Counselling sessions are held according to a schedule drawn up by the study centre coordinator, usually during weekends.
TV counselling and Tele-conferencing: Through GyanDarshan Channels and EduSat. One GyanDarshan channel is available on DTH platform.
Radio Counselling: Through phone-in programmes on AIR and GyanVani
- 1 credit = 30 hours of student’s study time
Additional Information The additional information about the admission details are available at IGNOU website – www.ignou.ac.in and our Regional Centres. Additional information about this programme may also be obtained from School of Agriculture.
For further information, kindly contact
- Prof. M.K. Salooja,
- Professor and Programme Coordinator,
- School of Agriculture,
- G Block, Zakir Hussain Bhawan,
- New Academic Complex,
- IGNOU, Maidan Garhi,
- New Delhi-110 068, INDIA
- Phone: +91-11-29533167
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com