IGNOU WIKI/Community Colleges/Student Registration
From IGNOU WiKi
One of the most important activities of a Community College is registration of learners to various need based as well as skill based academic programmes for the community. The activity requires advance and meticulous planning and careful implementation of the procedural guidelines of the Scheme of Community Colleges of IGNOU. The Principals/ Trustees /Societies therefore have a prominent role to play in this operation.
The IGNOU registers students for the academic programmes in two cycles; the January and the July Cycle. There are three categories of academic programmes which are offered at four levels as listed below:
- IGNOU Programmes directly taken up by the Community Colleges
- IGNOU Programmes being handled differently by the Community Colleges
- Programmes conceived by the Community Colleges
List of academic programmes on offer is to be published by the Community College in their respective Student Handbook and Prospectus. The Student Handbook and Prospectus should carry information about the following:
- Eligibility conditions for registration to the academic programmes on offer
- Fee structure
- Outline of the academic programmes
- Application form of admission
- Guidelines for filling of the application form and all details related to the rules and regulations of the Scheme of Community Colleges.
- Prototypes of the application form with instructions
Procedures and guidelines for registration to the academic programmes are to be laid down by the Community Colleges concerned. These require endorsement from the Community College Board and other regulatory bodies of the Community Colleges. The matters to be handled by the Community Colleges in this regard are:
- Preparation of calendar of activities.
- Preparation of the registration data entry package.
- Posting of admission notification in the IGNOU website.
- Giving wide publicity to the academic programmes.
Notifications in the local and regional dailies are to be released by the Community Colleges. In this respect the Principal/Incharge of Community College has to exercise great care about selection of local newspapers in order to ensure wide coverage. The text of the advertisement should be sent to Community College Unit, IGNOU for vetting. This should be sent to the unit by e-mail only at least ten days before the target date to send the advertisement to the press by the Community College.
The notification should clearly indicate the last date for submission of admission application form with fees at the Community College. For Category – 1 programme the last date should be same as that given by IGNOU (Normally 30th April for July cycle, 31st Oct for Jan cycle). For Category – 2 or 3 programme no specific guideline is being given except for the direction that the completed admission data with Registration Fee should reach the Community College Unit, IGNOU as per the schedule given below:
- July cycle: Latest by 30th June
- January cycle: Latest by 31st Dec
The Principals of Community Colleges should explore multiple avenues for giving wide publicity to its registration notification in his community. He may discuss publicity strategy in the community with the members of the Community College Board. The areas to be explored would be as under:
- Printing and distribution of handbills by the Community Colleges in their respective areas.
- Organization of ‘Open Meetings’ by the members of Community College Board.
- Giving Press Releases.
- Using the local cable TV network and community radio (if available).
- Release of short advertisements in local dailies.
Visit to local community by the Board Members /staff members of the Community College during the admissions and meeting the Press as well as people from different walks of life.
In respect of the Community Colleges
- Pre-entry guidance to learners.
- Printing and sale of Student Handbook and Prospectus (Community Colleges must ensure that it is activated for the programmes in which registration is sought)
- Programme-wise sorting of the application forms.
- Scrutiny of the application forms on the basis of eligibility conditions.
- Refund of programme fee in case a student is not eligible.
- Affixing of enrolment numbers on the application forms and the identity cards. Each Community College must send to the Community College Unit at IGNOU the estimated number of students who would be taking admission in that Community College. This would be required for generation and transmission of Enrolment No stickers. This information may be passed on to Community College Unit by the time when the admission process is about half-way through.
- Dispatch of discrepancy letters and rejection letters to students as per the requirement.
- Dispatch of offer of admission letter, identity and acknowledgement cards to the eligible applicants.
- Data entry of the application forms of eligible candidates in the given format.
- Submission of the data through email to Community College Unit of IGNOU.
- Remittance of registration fees to the Community College Unit.(Format)
In respect of the IGNOU
- Sending of students, Enrolment Number
- Consolidation of admission
- Sending the fees to F&A Division with reconciliation
- Sending of Certification of registration of the students to the Community Colleges.
We should encourage students of a Community College to successfully complete their programmes of study within the minimum duration. They would be allowed the maximum permissible time limit for completion of the programme. In case they cannot complete within the maximum permissible duration and would like to study even beyond that then they have to take re admission. They will be entitled to transfer of credits in respect of the courses they have completed earlier. The forms for re-admission are to be submitted at the Community Colleges during suitable dates announced by them for the academic session commencing from January / July. They should follow the same procedure of registration for sending data of re-admission to the Community College Unit of IGNOU. The Community Colleges concerned will prepare formats for this purpose. The formats should have provision for indicating the number of credits already earned and charging pro-rata fee for the credits to be earned. It should also make a mention of the maximum permissible time corresponding to the period of re-admission.
Maintenance of Student Records
Maintenance of Student Record in Community Colleges as well as Community College Unit of IGNOU are continuous process as It is important both from administrative and academic view points. Properly maintained student records can help the Scheme in:
- monitoring the progress of the student
- determining his/her status
- providing accurate guidance and advice to the student
- helping reduce attrition
- making the student support service more effective
After completion of the registration process programme-wise lists of students are to be generated by the Community Colleges. The list should contain name, enrolment number, father’s/mother’s name, address for communication, details of the demand drafts remitted, courses registered and the Community College code. The list must be sent to the Community College Unit by e-mail. The Community Colleges must keep hard copies of the lists in bound form after every registration cycle. The data should also be stored electronically.